The wait for the new 2022-23 Premier League season is OVER! Arsenal withh set the ball rolling as they clash with Crystal Palace tonight at the Selhurst Park Stadium by 20:00 UK time.
The Gunners will look to win their opener against their London rivals in the quest for Champions league football. It will not be an easy feat though, considering the head-to-head statistics between the two teams.
Here are a few stats and facts ahead of the game:
- Crystal Palace are unbeaten in their last six Premier League home games and kept clean sheets in each of the last five outings.
- Crystal Palace have lost just one of their last eight Premier League meetings with Arsenal (W2 D5). Following a 3-0 win in April, the Eagles are looking to win consecutive league games against the Gunners for the first time in their history.
- Three of Arsenal’s last four goals against Crystal Palace in the Premier League have been netted in the 90th minute or later.
- Crystal Palace have won their opening top-flight league match in only five of their previous 22 seasons (D7 L10), although they have won two of their last four (D1 L1), beating Fulham in 2018-19 and Southampton more recently in 2020-21.
- Arsenal have lost their opening Premier League match in five of their last nine seasons (W4) after losing their first match in just one of their 19 campaigns prior to this run; the Gunners lost 2-0 to Brentford last term.
- This is the third consecutive season Arsenal are starting their Premier League campaign with a London derby. They won 3-0 at Fulham in 2020-21, before losing 2-0 at Brentford in 2021-22’s season opener.
Mikel Arteta has a fully fit squad for the tie after he confirmed that three of the four injured players trained with the team yesterday. New signing, Gabriel Jesus, will be looking to make an impression on his debut.
The Gunners will wear their pink third kit for the match against Palace.