It’s a big day in London today. A well anticipated derby has brought about such eagerness and anxiety about the Stamford Bridge as Chelsea host Spurs in just their second match of the season.
Both teams have had a bright start to the season, winning their opening matches last weekend. The derby however, promises to be one worth fighting for from both parties.
Chelsea have the numerical advantage as the head-to-head statistics favour them against Tottenham, but Antonio Conte’s men seem to pose a higher attacking threat.
Here are a few stats ahead of the London derby:
• Since losing consecutive PL games against Spurs in 2018, Chelsea are unbeaten in seven games against Spurs (W6 D1), conceding only one goal in that run.
• Tottenham have won just one of their last 37 away matches against Chelsea in all competitions (D12 L24), a 3-1 win in April 2018 in the PL.
• Last season against Spurs, the Blues became the first top-flight team for 42 years to beat the same opponent four times in one season without conceding.
• Chelsea have scored at least one goal in each of 16 PL home games, since 0:1 defeat to Man City last September.
• If selected today, César Azpilicueta will make his 450th start for Chelsea.
• Spurs have scored more goals than any other PL team in 2022 (51).
• Chelsea will be without Kovacic & Alonso, while Lenglet & Skipp won’t feature for the Spurs.
Thomas Tuchel doesn’t seem to have completely sorted out his attacking options for the season. Chelsea still lack a prolific number 9, although Armado Broja comes really close in filling that gap.
On the other hand, Conte has attacking options in surplus. Richarlison is available for the match and Dejan Kulusevski is sharp as he could get.
The possible lineups of both teams are as follows:
Defenders: Koulibaly, Silva, Azpilicueta
Midfielders: Chilwell, Jorginho, Kante, James
Forwards: Sterling, Havertz, Mount
Defenders: Dier, Romero, Davies
Midfielders: Sessegnon, Hojbjerg, Bentancur, Emerson
Forwards: Son, Kane, Kulusevski
Chelsea 1-2 Tottenham
Chelsea may have a good record, but Spurs currently seem to be unstoppable. Their performance in all departments have been top-notch and it will take more than an average Chelsea show to see them off in the match.