The Blues travel to the St. Mary’s Stadium to go head to head against Sounthampton by 7:45pm on Tuesday night.
After winning with just 10 men against Leicester City on Saturday, Chelsea will look to win two consecutive games for the first time this season.
Chelsea came out on top in the last fixture with Southampton with a comfortable 6-0 win. Here we go with a few stats and facts ahead of the match:
• Southampton have won just two of their last 18 Premier League games against Chelsea (D5 L11), with both of those victories coming at Stamford Bridge. They’re winless in nine at home against them (D2 L7) since a 2-1 win in March 2013.
• Chelsea have scored in each of their last 17 Premier League away games against Southampton, winning 6-0 in this exact fixture last season. It’s the longest scoring streak one team has had against another away from home in the history of the competition.
• Southampton’s 44 home goals conceded against Chelsea is the most they’ve shipped against a single side in the Premier League, while only at Spurs (51) have the Blues scored more on the road.
• Southampton have won just three of their last 20 midweek (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) Premier League games (D7 L10). Saints have a lower win rate on Tuesdays than they do any other day of the week in the Premier League (21% – 9/44).
• After suffering a 3-0 reverse at Elland Road against Leeds, Chelsea are looking to avoid losing consecutive away Premier League games for the first time since December 2020. Manager Thomas Tuchel hasn’t lost consecutive away league games since August 2019 with Paris Saint Germain.
Kovacic is back in training for the Blues, but Thomas Tuchel has confirmed that be is not ready to play the entire match for the team yet.
Conor Gallagher will also miss the match due to suspension and Tuchel will have some thinking to do in selecting central midfielders for the game.
Here is how both teams will probably line up in the match:
Defenders: Djenepo, Salisu, Bella- Kotchap, Walker-Peters
Midfielders: Lavia, Ward-Prowse, Aribo
Forwards: Elyounoussi, Adams, Armstrong
Defenders: Silva, Koulibaly, James
Midfielders: Cucurella, Jorginho, Mount, Loftus-Cheek
Forwards: Sterling, Havertz, Pulisic
Southampton 1-3 Chelsea