Manchester City’s new boy, Sergio Gomez, is quite an impressive figure when his numbers are considered. The versatile Spaniard was no doubt one of Anderlecht’s sharpest players last season, regardless of the role he was asked to play.
It is possible that City were able to accelerate a deal for the player because of these brilliant stats.
Pep Guardiola has confirmed that Gomez is not part a development project hence he will not be loaned to another club. The Spanish manager wishes for the player to play a role as well in his ever evolving master plan.
Gomez was outstanding last term and the season before. Here are a few of his stats:
• The Catalan laid on 11 goals for his team-mates, the fourth most of any player in the division – behind only attacking players Xavier Mercier, Noa Lang and Junya Ito.
• He made a total of 65 chances, so could well have ended up with more assists to his name.
• 284 crosses he accumulated across the campaign, which was more than any other player in the competition.
• He averaged 1.3 shots per match last season and scored on six occasions in the league, including one match-winning brace against Sporting Charleroi.
• Gomez was one of Anderlecht’s chief penalty takers in 2021/22, converting all three of the kicks he took.
• He is comfortable out of possession too, having made 37 tackles, 34 clearances and 48 interceptions in the top-flight of Belgian football last season.
• In the previous season, while playing for struggling Huesca near the bottom of La Liga, he made 28 tackles and 18 interceptions from just four starts and 25 substitute appearances.