Finally, the wait is over! The surge approaches climax as Manchester United host Brighton and Hove Albion FC at the Old Trafford. Today is the day! And it’s 14:00 UK time.
Erik Ten Hag would be looking to build on his commendable pre-season tour. The Dutch is in high hopes of rebuilding his new side, as well as bringing trophy glory back to the Old Trafford. However, today’s clash is the trigger to launching him into the his perfect fantasy.
Before we get underway, here are a little fun facts:
• Manchester United have won their first Premier League match in 10 of the past 13 seasons (L3), including a 5-1 against Leeds United last term.
• Brighton have lost six of their previous seven Premier League games against Manchester United but recorded a resounding 4-0 win against the Red Devils in their latest meeting in May.
• Erik ten Hag will be the eighth manager (including caretakers) to take charge of Manchester United in the nine years since Sir Alex Ferguson retired. Six of the previous seven won their first match in charge.
• Brighton have lost all ten Premier League games they have played in Manchester – five against United and City each.
• Manchester United playmaker Bruno Fernandes has four goals and two assists in five Premier League appearances against Brighton.
• The Seagulls have never won in 14 visits to Old Trafford, losing 12 of those trips, including the last eight in a row.
• United have won 20 matches on the opening Premier League weekend, more than any other club.
• Brighton had the fifth-best away record in the top flight last term, losing just four times (W7, D8).
Erik Ten Hag does not have a lot of worries in the injury department. Anthony Martial is the only player that has been confirmed to miss out on today’s clash. Here’s the predicted XI for both teams.
Goalkeeper: De Gea
Defenders: Dalot, Varane, Maguire, Shaw
Midfielders: McTominay, Fernandes, Fred
Forwards: Sancho, Rashford, Ronaldo
BRIGHTON AND HOVE ALBION
Defenders: Webster, Dunk, Veltman, Lamptey
Midfielders: March, Gross, Mac Allister, Trossard, Lallana
SCORE PREDICTION: MUN: 2-1: BHA
Manchester United are expected to come out victorious but Brighton will definitely not go down without a tough fight.